Before I elaborate on the topic, “Top 10 generative AI trends in 2024”, remember that generative artificial intelligence first emerged in the 1960s by Joseph Weizenbaum. It was an era when this technology remained an alien concept to the world. Perhaps nobody knew then that it would become one of the most disruptive technologies, delivering far-reaching impacts in people’s lives.
With new AI-powered technologies such as ChatGPT, GPT-4, Google’s Gemini, Bard, and Claude, generative AI is hailed as a game-changing technology by experts. They believe that it will set in motion the inception of more innovative technologies, helping industry sectors, like healthcare, real estate, and education optimize their operational performance and serve people and society productively and usefully.
In this blog, I am going to give a rundown on 10 generative AI trends in 2024, explaining the transformative potential of AI technologies for techies, businesses, and mainstream audiences.
I tend to believe that if 2023 has been the year of generative AI, the next one will witness the sheer growth trajectory of the technology shaping 2024 in many ways.
Top 10 Generative AI Trends In 2024 – A Comprehensive Rundown On Exciting Possibilities Of Generative Artificial Intelligence
Trend #01 -AI models to Be more powerful, democratized, And easier-to-use interfaces for non-techies
Based on how AI models are going through intensive training on huge datasets every day to improve their understanding and intelligence, no wonder what would emerge shortly would be more powerful generative AI applications with more simplified interfaces for non-technical users, thus democratizing the technology to the best benefit for users in terms of generating unique content, composing music, or even designing a website with simple prompts.
The generative AI technologies are impressively powerful as they are trained on large datasets. For instance, a natural language processing model called GPT-4 (generative pre-trained transformer 4) is trained on more than a trillion parameters. The training of this model is associated with enhancing its capability of generating human-quality text, writing creative text formats, translating languages, and responding to a user’s questions affirmatively. You may wonder that GPT-4 is the most advanced version of NLP (natural language processing), surpassing its predecessors (e.g. (GPT-3, GPT 3.5, Jurassic-1 Jumbo, WuDao 2.0, etc.) with its inherent capabilities.
In addition, we also witness the relentless training of large language models (LLMs), such as Google’s PaLM2 and DeepMind’s Gopher in their respective pursuits to achieve improved performance capabilities in the future. They are fed on hundreds of billions of parameters to get trained intensively. Meanwhile, speculation that GPT-5 could be launched in 2024 is also gaining ground.
However, there’s no official statement confirming this rumor from OpenAI. So, technically, the general perspective is that the provision of more datasets would pave the path for better and advanced training of LLMs, thereby creating more powerful generative AI models in 2024.
Trend #02 -More power to the consumer techs
Generative AI super cycle
Generative AI is going to influence the consumer tech industry considerably. For instance, in the PC market segments, AI advancements will lead to a transformative shift known as the “super cycle” of laptop replacements. AI PCs will redefine and reshape the computing experience for consumers and businesses in 2024.
In other words, the generative AI super cycle is hailed as a transformative shift in laptop replacements, as it will come equipped with unprecedented features and capabilities. For example, these AI-powered laptops will feature context-aware scenes adjusting displays of your laptop screens according to your activity and surrounding environment.
Moreover, they will feature AI-powered keywords that can adapt to the user’s typing style, offer corrections, and even translate the language in a jiffy. These laptops will have improved multimedia capabilities, meaning your AI-powered laptop will feature audio and video editing tools powered by AI, noise cancellation in real-time, and will offer you immersive virtual reality experiences. Here, the meaning of the super cycle has different connotations.
For example, in the context of laptop replacement, the term means longer duration than the typical replacement cycle, which stays around 3 to 4 years. Another meaning of super cycle, in the case of laptop replacements, is higher demands. Hence, generative AI-integrated laptops will have significantly more appeal due to embedded features, such as personalization, automation, and creative assistance.
Tailored experience to smartphone users
Smartphone devices will leverage multi-modal generative AI models, enabling a user’s on-device AI assistant to provide tailored experiences, from general responses to personalized and useful results. Moreover, smartphone users will experience personalized and meaningful content, thanks to the large language models (LLMs) and visual models enabling applications to make use of sensor data, like health, location, and hyperlocal data.
Other Impacts Of Generative AI In The Consumer Techs Discussed In Brief:
- Personal devices, including IoT devices, smartphones, and PCs will be home to multi-modal generative AI models. As a result, consumers will go through next-level privacy-focused, personalized AI experiences.
- AI integration in the creative and marketing process will augment people’s creativity with better insights and valuable suggestions. For example, marketers can use AI-assisted models to target specific audiences more smartly and generate highly personalized content across different mediums.
- Technologies, such as mixed reality, virtual reality, and extended reality (XR) will enter mainstream society in 2024. In this context, generative AI will play an incremental role in enhancing and scaling XR experiences. Moreover, the technology will help democratize three-dimensional (3D) content generation using new tools and produce lifelike and engaging virtual environments.
Trend #03 -The Rise of Explainable AI
The world will witness Explainable AI (XAI) as a powerful technology to help AI models understand or build AI systems so that humans can understand how these systems work and what drives them to make certain decisions. It goes without saying that AI models are getting more complex. Therefore, understanding their working mechanisms is very important.
Hence, a push for explainable AI is inevitable, enabling developers to get to the bottom of how AI models make decisions and ensure transparency in their reasoning process. The move is seen as crucial for building transparency and trust, as well as ensuring responsible AI development. The presence of explainable AI will enable humans to understand decisions made by AI models, spot potential biases, and ensure that the models perform in compliance with ethical principles.
Trend #04 -Easy accessibility of Generative AI to widespread users
One of the key ‘generative AI trends in 2024’ that I believe will happen is that the technology will have its democratization, meaning generative AI tools will be more accessible to people. A possible reason for this trend to take place in 2024 is because of the pace of progress made in the cloud platforms and open-source initiatives. So, there is a strong likelihood of witnessing affordable and user-friendly generative AI tools popping up everywhere that would give more power to people and businesses to maximize the power of artificial intelligence.
Here, the democratization of generative AI tools simply means making these technologies accessible and usable for a large number of people, irrespective of whether they are technically sound or have technical resources. When democratized, these tools will afford several benefits to people and small businesses.
Some of these benefits are as follows:
- Creativity Enhancement And Innovative Solutions– The democratization of generative AI tools will ensure that people from whatever creative fields can leverage AI power to unlock infinite creative possibilities and build innovative solutions.
- Empowering People – Democratizing AI means putting the power of artificial intelligence in the hands of people, enabling them to leverage AI-powered tools to solve problems, communicate themselves better, and be successful in their passions.
- Bridging the Skills Gap – If AI tools are made more accessible to people, they can equip themselves with the necessary skills and knowledge needed to stay ahead of the curve, especially in an AI-driven world.
- Fostering an Inclusive And Diverse Landscape – When people access powerful generative AI tools, they become more empowered. They will be able to build a more inclusive and diverse innovation landscape.
Trend #05 -Revolutionary Video Content Creation
Generative AI is all set to make the overall experience of video content creation revolutionary. AI-powered tools will perform different tasks, from churning out professional and quality explainer videos and product demos to personalizing movie trailers in seconds. As a result, it will ensure the democratization of video production, creating headways for more exciting possibilities for education, marketing, and entertainment. For instance, many design platforms using generative AI functionality enable product designers to build countless digital twins of any conceivable prototypes. This way, they can conduct parallel examinations of the same to come up with more effective product designs.
Trend #06 -Generative AI as a creator of artistic expressions
One of the ‘generative AI trends in 2024’ would be the emergence of AI-powered design and art, opening up new possibilities for artistic expression for individuals. The technology can generate stunning visuals, design brilliant products, and help artists compose unique music notes as well. Ai-powered design tools, personalized art creators, and ai-assisted musical collaborations will rule the roost. The year 2024 will witness more powerful AI-powered audio and speech, just as AI-created images and texts took the world by storm in 2023. The AI tools will become more advanced in simulating the tones and inflections, meaning they will imitate human speech naturally.
Trend #07 -Proactive investment in AI compliance and governance
One of the most noticeable ‘generative AI trends 2024’ would be enterprises and organizations around the world investing more considerably in AI compliance and governance. This sort of need arises concerning the risks that may emerge from personal AI use. Meaning, the organizations that are helping their employees get equipped with generative AI tools for personal use in the workplace would ensure that they use the technologies professionally and responsibly.
Hence, AI governance will help companies control AI use by employees and flag those people composing low-standard or inappropriate prompts. In addition, proper governance will also ensure that companies stay well-informed of any regulatory compliances (e.g. AI hiring law in New York City) proposed or enacted by the governments of their respective countries.
Benefits of AI Governance At A Glance:
- Organizations can effectively control AI use by their employees in the workplace, flagging those people feeding low-quality or inappropriate prompts to the technology
- It will help enterprises stay informed of any proposed or enforced laws regarding AI compliance. To say otherwise, companies will stay ahead on AI compliance and benefit from a profit standpoint.
- Adherence to AI compliance would mean reducing the risk of lawsuits. This is very important based on the fact that AI training involves huge datasets containing intellectual property, thereby enhancing the risk of appropriating IP illegally.
Trend #08 -The Use Of AI To Be Normal In Business Practices in 2024
During the onset of generative AI and its noticeable popularity increasing day by day, there were many organizations, like Samsung, JPMorgan Chase, and Apple, who maintained caution about the use of the technology and restricted their employees from using generative AI tools, like ChatGPT. The reason for their caution was mostly related to the fact that AI tools like ChatGPT are trained on datasets containing intellectual property and so could lead to unintentional breaches of their internal data.
No doubt, some organizations will still maintain a certain degree of caution about generative AI and classic AI technology, the year 2024, however, will see the growth of AI use by employees of many companies, according to experts. This sort of speculation is based on the premise of the efficacy of generative AI in terms of enhancing saving time and increasing employee productivity.
Moreover, there is also a strong likelihood that many employees would use their own BYOAI (bring your own AI) as a mainstream or experimental AI service to accomplish their business tasks, regardless of whether their employers approve of such exercise. Eventually, or that might be the case in 2024, employers would have not much choice but to invest considerably more in the generative AI technology and encourage their employees to make use of the same, responsibly.
Trend #09 -More focus on developing responsible AI
In light of the rapid pace of development in generative AI models, concerns regarding bias, safety, and ethical applications of artificial intelligence are also growing, leaving experts in doubt as to whether a use would involve full-fledged transparency by its users. Therefore, the focus is on making AI use more responsibly. Hence, in 2024, the focus will be on building responsible AI frameworks. This would ensure the avoidance of bias or any concerns associated with the ethical use of artificial intelligence. Moreover, responsible AI use will ensure total transparency, addressing potential risks associated with AI.
Responsible AI Benefits:
- Ensures adequate representation of AI algorithms and underlying data
- Builds AI transparency across diverse functions and processes
- Creation of more opportunities for employees without obstructing innovation
- Ensures privacy and security of confidential data, prevents unethical data hack
- Mitigates risks in business, helping enterprises benefit employees, stakeholders, and society at large
Trend #10 -The Growth Of Explainable AI In 2024
Witness the rapid growth of explainable AI in 2024, given the exponential advancement of AI models, which make these machines more complex to understand. The advent of explainable AI would ensure a better understanding of the underlying function of these machines, like how they work and arrive at a decision. The year 2024 will witness a push for explainable AI to build trust and ensure responsible AI development.
Benefits of Explainable AI at A Glance:
- It will help mitigate the cost of mistakes in decision-sensitive areas, such as finance, medicine, legal, etc. wherein ramifications of wrong predictions could be worse.
- It would help in reducing the impact of AI model biasing, such as racial bias by autonomous vehicles, etc. The system of explainable AI would lessen the impact of biased predictions from decision-making criteria.
- It would ensure AI accountability to optimize the performance of the overall system.
- It will cause rapid growth in AI adoption and regulatory compliance.
Generative AI trends in 2024 – Other honorable mentions
- Generative AI Use For Climate Change – Generative AI models will contribute immensely to environmental science, pushing for a new transition toward a greener future.
- Generative AI as a watchdog for global challenges – Witness generative AI tracking global challenges, such as hunger, poverty, and disease. If used wisely, technology will be a driving force to handle these challenges.
- More Personalized Experience – Generative AI in 2024 and beyond would emerge as a transformative tech, in terms of personalizing your experiences in shopping, news feeds, and educational content based on your individual preferences. As a result, expect to see the creation of an immersive and captivating personalized experience with the power of generative AI.
- Intuitive conversational AI – Generative AI is to be more intuitive and conversational, benefiting customer service, education, and even mental health support.
- More AI startups – The year 2024 is likely to witness more startups bringing more sophisticated application-centric offerings. There will be the development of more core models, like LLMs, diffusion models, or computer vision models.
I have listed ten ‘generative AI trends’ for 2024 and added a few more intended to help you get a good grasp of how the technology will rule the roost in the year 2024 and beyond. Note that generative AI models are still in the experimental phase of their development, given they go through intense training on large datasets to get better at making predictions and behaving human-like.
Therefore, the sort of performance excellence we witness in AI tools these days will be more powerful and engaging in the future, based on their continuous training. Data-based training is an extremely important factor in empowering generative AI models. And that’s why every version of a particular AI tool we see today gets another advanced version than its predecessor. As of now, let’s just say that 2024 will be an era of more advanced generative AI shaping the enterprise IT ecosphere.